The Boys' Brigade (BB) was formed in Glasgow in 1883.
The 1st Glasgow company was soon joined by other companies in the city and the movement eventually spread across the country.
The first BB company formed in Oxfordshire was established at St Peter's-Le-Bailey Parish Church, Oxford in November 1887 by James R Hill.
Mr Hill was formerly an officer in the 1st Glasgow and following his arrival in Oxford as a Theology student he was instrumental in the establishing 7 BB companies in the City.
The BB/CLB has been active in Banburyshire over the years with companies based at St Mary's Parish Church, Christ Church Parish Church, Marlborough Road Methodist Church (The Wesleyan Boys' Brigade), South Bar Congregational Church and Banbury Baptist Church (2 groups). Other local BB companies have been based at Middleton Cheney Baptist Church, Kings Sutton Baptist Church (2 groups), SS Peter & Paul Parish Church Deddington, St Mary's Parish Church Tysoe, St Peter's Parish Church, Kineton, Brackley Methodist Church, and coming soon, All Saints Parish Church Middleton Cheney.
In the 1950's a BB group from Ealing, West London camped at Manor Farm, Bloxham and attended Church Parade at Bloxham Baptist Church.
In the 1970's, Bloxham Carnival parades were lead by the drums and bugles of the band of the 1st Banbury BB company.
The BB in Bloxham was opened in January 2008 after gaining the support from the PCC's of the United Bloxham Benefice of Churches.
The first meeting of Anchors was held in the Parish Rooms, Bloxham with the help of a couple of members of 1st Deddington Company.
Our Junior section opened in January 2009.
Our company section opened in September 2012 with our first NCO joining us from the 1st East Peckham, Kent.
1st Bloxham has a pedigree which stretches back to the early 1950's when the 1st Bletchley assisted Banbury Baptist Church in setting up a 1st Banbury Group. In turn in the 1960's leaders from 1st Banbury help re-establish the 1st Kings Sutton Group at Kings Sutton Baptist Church. In 2001 the 1st Deddington was formed out of boys attending 1st Kings Sutton from the Deddington area. In 2008 the 1st Bloxham was established with the support of 1st Deddington. 1st Deddington merged with 1st Bloxham in July 2017.
1st Bloxham are now providing support for the new BB group at All Saints Parish Church, Middleton Cheney which is opening soon.